Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Who doesn't love a good greeting card?



I don't have much to post today, but I wanted to give you guys a peek at the new design for my flash "cards." You are really going to like them!

The original design was perfectly acceptable, but I also felt that it was slightly flawed; only the "g as in 'go'" card had the original vintage type on the face of the card, because of the 1960s grammar school flashcards I obtained, it was the only one with a catchy, greeting-card usable slogan built into the flashcard itself. I had to make up the slogans for "sh : new baby" and "sh : it's a surprise" cards, and the font I used was the closest I could get to the original type.

But I'm a perfectionist, and it was not good enough.

I went hunting for something better, knowing that no matter how many fonts I downloaded, I would never find anything that could match the original letterpress stamps that were likely used to make the cards. But therein lay my solution: I should look for stamps.

Lo and behold, the first place I went looking, I found a set of alphabet stamps that mimicked the precise feel of the original type! I purchased some high-quality ink along with the stamps, then experimented on paper to find the best way to make the stamped letters look aged, coming up with what I thought was the closest resemblance to vintage-looking type.

I stamped out the whole alphabet in a line, scanned the sheet, and, through careful measuring and cropping, created my own font!--which I then used to type out handy slogans like these:









I have a whole "H as in Hi" collection planned so that Wacky Wanita customers can buy a complete greeting card set, purchasing ten cards at once at a lower cost per card, and also allowing the buyer to enjoy more of the "flashcard" feel. A few other collections will follow. But I haven't named those ones yet!

Just wanted to keep you in the know. And I was excited. :-)

Some new purses coming soon, too. Came up with a couple design ideas today to pitch to my pursemaker--whose photo and bio should appear soon on the "Artists" page, so look forward to that!

Have a splendid day!

See you soon,

Wacky Wanita

PS--And check out the new Facebook fanpage! http://www.facebook.com/WackyWanitasYoUniqueBoutique
*All "flashcards"/flash "cards" shown here and in the Wacky Wanita store are copyright Wacky Wanita 2012.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love these flashcard cards and can't wait for the "h as in hi collection" to become available!

    ReplyDelete