Saturday, July 7, 2012

Welcome, July! We love you.



Another crazy week at Wacky Wanita's. But what else would it be, right? Wait. Have you heard this story?

Maybe you haven't! I've got the time to tell you. I'm just sitting here in my freshly-cleaned kitchen with nothing but some editing work on my plate. It's not like I have to be at work tomorrow or anything. Not just because I don't work on Sundays, but because--that's right--I quit my day job.

I gave my notice at the elite retail job where I worked as inventory manager right around the same time that I started this super awesome blog. It wasn't my intention at the time to become a full-time entrepreneur, but that's what life has been for me the last week. A lot of businessy hustle and bustle, networking, and filling in the gaps with little details like shipping supplies and copyright stamps. Tomorrow I meet with my hatmaker. (Okay, I guess I do a little work on Sundays sometimes.) Then it will be off onto the next thing.

Perhaps you already thought that Wacky Wanita's was my career, but alas, no. Wacky Wanita artist Deborah and I both love the idea of renting a studio space in historical Portsmouth and coming in every day to share all the ideas we came up with exploring vintage sales and Pinterest (want to follow me? I'm The Antler Girl!), but the reality is, at this point, this boutique is not going to pay the bills.

In the meantime, I've got an interview scheduled for Monday at a bridal boutique. Interesting, no? It's as though all the facets of my girliness are coming together. Just a few days ago, in that brilliant space between waking and sleeping, I came up with the idea for the bridal fortune cookie card.



I swore I'd only make the fortune cookie in three colors--to keep it special and select--but this idea was too good. The zillions of shades of white made available to a bride as she prepares for her big day are the perfect inspiration for a fresh new fortune cookie card. I thought it could be used for a maid-of-honor thank-you--after all, she does so much to assist the bride, make the whole wedding-planning process fun, and alleviate stress that a simple single-fold card does not really provide enough space to say it all--but Deborah matched my idea and raised me one:

She said she hopes her matron of honor will get the card and use it to navigate the bachelorette party! She says a traveling bachelorette party or an evening full of events could be made that much more spontaneous by allowing the bride to choose her fate via the bridal fortune cookie card. Brilliant! If this woman ever starts her own wedding blog, I am following it. I will never miss a single post.

That's probably my favorite new product this week. I'm positively giddy about it.

Another girlie product to hit the table this week is the Heidi clutch. Now, since the market for bags is highly competitive, I'm sparking my own trend by creating a catalog feel, if you will, in my Etsy store. Online stores are great and everything, but one thing a shopper loses between the pages of a catalog and the screen of a computer is the stylist's use of products together. Before anyone can just pass off the Heidi clutch as yet another bag in the streams and streams of bags that flow through Etsy, they're going to have to take a moment to consider our Wacky Wanita styling approach. Check it out:





Tell me this isn't a good idea! I'm still working out the kinks, and I'm not sure Etsy will approve... but I only intend to do it with the purses, and hey--it's worth a shot!

What else, what else?

The reason I meet with my hatmaker tomorrow is that she has been working out the measurements for a child-size hat, so that I can provide the slave-free flower hats in multiple sizes. I don't know that I'll commit to purchasing any tomorrow; I have to approve the design and select colors first, but that could be the next big thing.

A potential new artist and I are working out a design for a great messenger bag I think people are really going to love. I'm debating about maybe making it in the proportions to carry the iPad, but we shall see. I will say that it may incorporate vintage jewelry, and a belt, and a fabric design by yours truly! I'm super excited about that.

Oh! And we've got a whole bunch of new "flashcards" coming hot off the press in the next week. They're classy, they're clever--you're going to love them.

So, basically, a lot to look forward to.

Thanks for tuning in! Can't wait to share this next chapter of my story with you. You're the best!

Until next time,

Wanita

No comments:

Post a Comment